The word out of OTAs is clear: Zach Ertz and the Philadelphia Eagles are focused on football.
The buzz around Philly has been all about the quarterback situation for the Birds. Incumbent starter Sam Bradford returns under center, and he is joined by No. 2 overall draft pick Carson Wentz out of North Dakota State. At the forefront of Zach’s mind is getting better, and winning football games.
“Whoever our first-string quarterback against Cleveland is, is who we will put all our chips on the table for,” Zach said. “I’m not going to go run routes any less for Sam or Carson because I’m worried about the future of this team. I’m worried about winning games. You look at it from an organization standpoint. We don’t even have a first-round pick next year. So we’re not focused on the future. Guys are here, and they are just going to focus on being the best teammates they can be. I’m sure Sam is going to do the same for us.”
The Eagles began organized team activities on May 17 at their NovaCare Complex as they work their way toward training camp, preseason, and as Zach alluded to, the season opener on Sept. 11 against the Cleveland Browns.
A few players are absent from the training sessions for various reasons, namely defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and running back Darren Sproles. But ZE knows full well the importance of the business aspect of the sport, and that when that side is taken care of, the same game is still played on the field.
“When guys walk in the door, no one’s focused on the business sort of things,” Zach said. “When Fletch comes back, no one’s going to hold grudges because he wasn’t here. Or Darren. Or whatever the case may be. Going through the offseason this year and going through my contract[extension], you kind of get an understanding for the business side of football.”
On Thursday, the Eagles wrap up the first of four OTA sessions. The next meeting is May 24-26, followed by May 31 and June 1-3. Then comes the mandatory minicamp June 7-9.
- Eagles teammates not worried about Bradford (Philadelphia Inquirer, May 18, 2016)
- Zach Ertz: We’re focused on winning games, not the future (ProFootballTalk, May 19, 2016)
- Do Philadelphia Eagles teammates still respect Sam Bradford? Of course, Zach Ertz says (Penn Live, May 18, 2016)
- Zach Ertz: Philadelphia Eagles can’t focus on the future (247 Sports, May 18, 2016)
- Teammates back Sam Bradford after trade request (NFL.com, May 18, 2016)
- Philadelphia Eagles Offseason Workout Schedule (Bleeding Green Nation, Apr. 1, 2016)
- PHOTOS: Eagles OTAs (Philly Mag, May 17, 2016)